Monday, December 31, 2012

caregiver time

I'm curious to hear what others do for caregiving.  My husband and I both work full time.  My JHD daughter (now 26 yrs old) lives with us and has a 40 hour caregiver in our home.  We feel very blessed to be able to keep her at home as we realize this is not easy and it takes a lot of work on my part to get things arranged to get us the things we need to make this all happen.  Erin is at the point now that things seem to be changing quickly downhill.  December has not been kind to her.  At the start of the month, she transferred with help more often than not, but we could do that with just one person assisting most of the time.  She had occassional bad days where it took two of us, but now we are two for almost everything and that's a struggle.  Her chorea is bad and gets to a point that she cannot even hold herself into her chair the past few days.  We are requesting a lift once the doctors are back from holiday breaks.

Has anyone ever requested and received two caregivers at the same time so that patient and caregivers are all safe?  It has to be cheaper to get two full-time people in our home than to put our daughter into a nursing facility.  I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and might know some information about the best way to approach it.

1 comment:

  1. We have, once again, been very fortunate in that we are allowed two caregivers for the morning routine to ensure the safety of both my daughter and her caregivers. It gives us two people for the first four hours of her day and has been working out very well. Peace of mind for me when I'm gone.

    ReplyDelete